One protestor killed in police firing in Gaur

One protestor killed in police firing in Gaur

A protestor, who was shot at during a clash with the police in Rautahat on Tuesday, breathed his last while being rushed to Birgunj for treatment.

The deceased has been identified as Raj Kumar Thakur, a local of Mathiya VDC-6.
The clash had ensued as cadres of the agitating alliance of Madhesi parties continued their protest even as the local administration announced the district as “riot-hit zone” on Monday night.

Defying the announcement, around 400 locals from Rajpur, Pharahadwa, and Tikuliya VDCs, including deceased Thakur, were heading for the district headquarters Gaur when the police tried to stop them.

Police had opened 10 rounds of tear gas shells to take the situation under control. Police opened fire after agitators kept marching toward the district headquarters.

Immediately after he was shot at, Thakur was rushed to Gaur Hospital, which referred him to Birgunj. “He breathed his last while being rushed to Birgunj in the ambulance,” said driver Shivu Raut.

Following Thakur’s death, Gaur remained tense throughout the day. Local protestors set ablaze an Area Police Office in Mathiya to protest the killing.

Although army has been mobilized in the district, they have not intervened in the clashes.

According to the District Administration Office (DAO), Rautahat, Gaur municipality and the adjoining areas along the 42 km stretch of the Gaur-Chandranigahpur road has been declared “riot hit zone.”

Tarai protest enters day 11

Supporters of the agitating alliance of Madhesi parties have continued their protest Tarai districts from Jhapa to Parsa on the 10th day on Tuesday.

Supporters of the alliance of Madhesi parties have vandalized Chhimeki Bank and People’s Embankment Program office in Mahottari district on Tuesday.

According to the police, properties worth over half a million rupees was vandalized. A computer, a laptop, three printers, a photocopy machine, a fax machine and furniture were damaged when protestors vandalized the offices.

Earlier on Monday night, demonstrators had set ablaze two outposts of the Armed Police Force (APF) at a local bus stand in Jaleshwar and Bakhari Chowk along Jaleshwar-Bardibas road section, according to APF SP Dhirendra Pandey.

In Dhanusha, local demonstrators attacked dozens of night buses leaving for eastern districts from Kathmandu and broke their windscreens near Dhalkebar along the east-west highway.

Lakpa Dolma Sherpa, a 25-year-old passenger received head injury in the attack. Sherpa was rushed to Kathmandu for treatment.

Passengers have accused policemen of standing as mute spectators when the incident took place.

In Sarlahi, Madhesi protestors organized a protest rally in Nawalpur on Tuesday.

“The alliance of Madhesi parties denounces mobilization of the army,” said Jangilal Ray, district chief of Tarai-Madhes Democratic Party (TMDP).

Likewise, the protest in Siraha has remained peaceful, according to our Lahan-based correspondent Mithilesh Yadav.

Various civil society organizations, including Marwadi Yuwa Manch and FNCCI Lahan, have extended their support to the protest on Tuesday.

Source: MyRepublica