The Ministry of Education ( MoE ) has been carrying out homework to reopen all the schools in the earthquake affected 14 districts including in the Kathmandu Valley from May 31.
Speaking at an interaction organised by the Education Journalists Network in the Capital on Tuesday, Joint Spokesperson Saraswati Pokharel said it is necessary to run the classes even by building the temporary structures in the schools that have very risky building structures and the MoE has directed the concerned District Education Offices to this regard.
Speaking at the programme, District Education Officer at Kathmandu, Dinesh Kumar Shrestha, said as many as 34 public schools are declared unsafe to run classes and pasted red sticker, buildings of 68 public schools have developed big cracks while 101 public schools are safe to run the classes. “We have prepared to run the classes even by building the temporary structures of around 90 per cent public schools,” she added.
Similarly, Shiva Sapkota, the District Education Officer, Lalitpur, said as many as 330 are partially damaged and 120 schools have severe damages while 40 schools are unsafe to run. The April 25 quake and aftershocks so far have caused loss of around Rs 500 million in the district.
Chairman of the Private and Boarding Schools’ Organisations Nepal (PABSON) Lakshya Bahadur KC said the government has provided grants to only the public schools and stressed on the need of providing such loan at subsidy to the private schools.
At the programme Chairman of the UCPN (Maoist) Kathmandu District Committee Himal Sharma, Nepal Teachers’ Association Chairman Ramesh Rupakheti, PABSON Lalitpur Chapter Chairman Shiva Karki said the teachers and the students should be provided with psychological consultations before running the regular classes.