Twelve days after Dr Govinda KC began to stage a fast-unto-death against granting affiliations to medical colleges, the government has finally paid heed to his 10-point demands onThursday.
Both the parties have signed an agreement paper regarding the demands of Dr KC.
The agreement paper has been signed by Chief Secretary Leelamani Paudel and Vice Chairman of National Planning Commission Givinda Pokharel on behalf of the government and Dr KC.
KCs’ hunger-strike will be broken by offering him juice at 3 pm today, informed Republica correspondnet Dipak Dahal.
The agreement includes the following points:
1. Granting affiliations to medical colleges only after the education policy to be formulated based on the report prepared by a committee led by Kedarbhakta Mathema.
2. The report prepared by the Giri-led committee in 2058 BS on the irregularities will be sent to Commission for Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) for execution.
3. A bill regarding establishment of medical universities will be submitted in the legislature-parliament.
4. Those medical colleges failing to meet the standards set as per the agreement will be de-affiliated.
5. Giving jurisdiction to Mathema-led committee to recommend scientific fee structure in all courses and levels of medical colleges and health services.
6. Adopting policy to establish at least one medical university in all the five development regions within five years.