The District Public Health Office (DPHO) Kathmandu, has urged all residents of the district to ensure that their drinking water is properly boiled.
The Kathmandu DPHO said this after all water samples collected from various places in the district by its technicians were found containing cholera microbes, E.coli and coliform. Cholera is a bactarial disease that causes severe diarrhea and dehydration. E.coli is a bacteria species that lives in the digestive tracts of humans and animals. These microbes cause diarrheal infections. Similarly, coliform too are bacteria present in digestive tracts of both humans and animals and are found in their waste.
The Kathmandu DPHO has deployed 103 health technicians to collect water samples in collaboration with Unicef-Nepal following the spread of diarrheal disease in the district. Over five dozen people have tested positive for cholera since the outbreak of that disease in the capital some three weeks ago and thousands have been infected with other diarrheal diseases.
“All the water samples collected by our technicians have been found contaminated with hazardous bacteria,” Sri Krishna Bhatta, chief of DPHO Kathmandu, said. He informed that even the purified bottled water has been found contaminated with deadly microbes.
According to Bhatta, the technicians deployed by the office have been tasked to collect samples from all water sources including tap water, well water, tanker water and bottled water. “They have collected water from all sources and all have been found hazardous,” he said adding, that water should be boiled properly before drinking. “One should not rely on the quality of the purified bottled water either.”
The DPHO informed that some well water samples collected from ward no 12, 13 and 14 of Kathmandu have even found contaminated with cholera. Health workers say that the disease can spread from the use of utensils even if it is washed using contaminated water. The spread of the cholera remains uncontrolled and the deadly disease has been detected in various parts of Kathmandu and Lalitpur. Health experts warned of a catastrophe after a patient from Nuwakot district also tested positive earlier this week. They warned that one could get infected with waterborne diseases like cholera, diarrhea, typhoid, jaundice and dysentery among other diseases they drink contaminated water.