Colors Of Nepal and Rotaract Baneshwor Royal is organizing a global photo walk on 18 April, 2015 for the first time by Nepalese and invites professional, amateur and beginner level photographers in the event. We will be hosting the photo walk in various parts of Nepal along with some foreign countries. Since the new session of the kids will start from April, we are coming up with photo walk to immediately benefit the kids.
Objectives of Photo walk
● Promote photography and fine arts online
● Create awareness about the bleak educational scenario of Nepal
● Provide a platform for people to make a positive contribution in the lives of needy children
● To strive for rural academic development by promoting quality education for the underprivileged and deprived children of Nepal, especially of the backward community
● To provide scholarship to deserving yet underprivileged school kids and prepare them for further education and lifelong skills required in a professional setting
We strongly recommend people to contribute when they join in for the photo walk. The collected proceeds will be utilized to cover the following educational aspects of the beneficiary:
● School Fees
● Educational Materials
● Examination Fees
Why photo walk?
When Colors of Nepal was started, it was started as a hobby of photography, which later turned into a welfare photography group. We believe that photography is an eye to the real world. We have brought many of the social causes to be discussed through our photography and we deem we have lot more to achieve. Through this photo walk, we want to establish photographers as capable people to contribute to the society by pressing their shutter. Since we have targeted various levels of photographers, we want to show the whole world that we stand out from others. Our photographs will definitely speak to the whole world.
For a Cause
Nepalese school children pervasively face the problem of lack of affordability of quality education, as a result of which dropout rates are very high. We want to leverage the fact that people these days are increasingly taking up photography as a hobby, and couple this with a pressing need in the society. Colors of Nepal thus aspires to address the financial challenge faced by countless rural school children through the competition that will at first create awareness online regarding the issue, after which the funds collected from photo walk worldwide will be directly contributed to school children nominated by various rural schools for sponsorship.
The scholarship programme operates primarily in rural areas out of Kathmandu and Lalitpur where the poor make up nearly 20% of the population and where children have little access to education due to poverty and the shortage of schools. These students are from poor families who cannot afford their schooling, over 60% of whom are girls. These children tend to drop out of school early because:
1. The cost of an education is high compared with the income of families who are poor. These costs include school fees, school maintenance, insurance, books, pens and uniforms, many of which have to be paid at the beginning of the school year. It is common for people in this area to have jobs which pay by the day; therefore it is difficult for parents to pay out large sums in one go, especially in families with three or four children.
2. Children themselves are often relied upon to bring home some income that can help to support the family, however meager it may be. They may tend the buffalo, weed the rice or baby sits their sisters and brothers. The poorest families cannot afford to forego this income and, after just a short time these children have difficulties retaining what they have learnt in school and many remain illiterate like their parents.
How will the photo walk be conducted?
The photo walk will be conducted on 18 April, 2015 at different times in different time zones. Photographers or any other interested from all around the targeted places are expected to participate in the photo walk. The participants will be divided into 3 groups according to their choices
The participants will be provided with badges mentioning the respective groups. Each group will have their respective mentors; who will be guiding the group members the entire time on how they can take better photos while teaching them the basics of photography. Information’s on how to use their existing gears and other necessary information’s will also be shared.
The venue of photo walk will be a popular historic destination. Photo walk generally means to walk around and take photos. But, this time it will be different — all the photo walkers will be lead to some of the most historic places around where they will be accompanied by one of the best historians from the place, who will tell them the reason behind that place being historic. That will bring in more values to the photo walk as well as sharing the right information about the place. So, this will be a different approach for the photo walk along with our message as well. We will also be providing certificates to the photo walkers and mentors of the photo walk in order to encourage them for further photographic contributions.